
NEW YORK — Bronx rapper Kay Flock, whose music career was gaining momentum before his 2021 arrest, has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison for his role in multiple shootings in his neighborhood.
The 22-year-old artist, whose real name is Kevin Perez, was sentenced Tuesday by U.S. District Judge Lewis J. Liman after being convicted of charges including racketeering conspiracy and attempted murder. Prosecutors said the crimes occurred during a violent period between 2020 and 2021 that left several people injured or killed.
During sentencing, the judge criticized Perez for glorifying violence and influencing younger peers through his music and social media presence. The court said Perez led a gang known as Sev Side/DOA and took part in four separate shootings that injured multiple people.
Perez told the court he had changed since his teenage years and asked for a second chance, saying he was young and lacked guidance at the time. However, the judge noted a lack of remorse toward the victims and said a lengthy sentence was necessary.
Kay Flock rose to national attention in New York’s drill rap scene and was named Billboard’s R&B/Hip-Hop Rookie of the Month in 2021 following the release of his debut project. Prosecutors argued that his music and online messages promoted gang violence, while defense attorneys pointed to his upbringing in a dangerous environment.
The sentencing effectively ends what had been a rapidly rising music career.