Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Another Tanker Seized Near Venezuela as Trump Tightens Grip on Maduro
Another Tanker Seized Near Venezuela as Trump Tightens Grip on Maduro

WASHINGTON — U.S. forces have seized another oil tanker operating near the coast of Venezuela, escalating pressure on the government of President Nicolás Maduro as the Donald Trump administration intensifies its campaign against Caracas, according to a U.S. official familiar with the operation.

The interception took place early Saturday in international waters and was led by the United States Coast Guard, with operational support from the U.S. military. The vessel, a Panamanian-flagged tanker carrying Venezuelan oil and bound for Asia, was boarded without resistance from its crew, the official said.

The seizure marks the second known interdiction of a tanker near Venezuela this month. It follows Trump’s recent announcement of a “blockade” aimed at oil tankers operating under sanctions as part of a broader effort to cut off revenue flows to the Maduro government.

Second Seizure, Different Target

Earlier this month, U.S. authorities took control of the tanker Skipper, which had been sanctioned for alleged links to Iran. Unlike that case, the tanker seized on Saturday was not itself under U.S. sanctions, underscoring what officials describe as a widening enforcement posture focused on Venezuelan oil exports.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem posted video footage of the operation on social media, showing a helicopter hovering above the vessel during the boarding. She described the action as a coordinated “predawn” mission carried out with the Department of Defense and said the tanker had last docked in Venezuela.

“The United States will continue to pursue illicit oil movements that fund criminal and destabilizing activity in the region,” Noem said.

Venezuela and Iran Respond

Venezuela’s government condemned the seizure, calling it an unlawful act. Foreign Minister Yvan Gil said Iran had offered cooperation after what he described as U.S. “piracy” in international waters. Gil said he spoke with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who expressed solidarity with Caracas.

Vice President Delcy Rodríguez accused Washington of hijacking a private vessel and said Venezuela would raise the issue before the United Nations Security Council and other international bodies.

Pressure Campaign Expands

U.S. officials confirmed that American forces also attempted to intercept another vessel near Venezuela on Sunday, though it remains unclear whether that ship was carrying Venezuelan oil or whether it was ultimately seized.

The tanker seizures come amid a broader U.S. pressure campaign that has included new sanctions on Venezuela’s oil sector, increased military deployments in the Caribbean, and repeated warnings directed at Maduro’s government. U.S. officials say the actions are intended to disrupt drug trafficking and illicit financial networks, though critics argue they amount to an effort to destabilize the Venezuelan leadership.

Trump has repeatedly pointed to Venezuela’s oil industry as a focal point of U.S. policy. State-owned Petróleos de Venezuela controls the sector, while Chevron remains the only U.S. company operating in the country under a limited sanctions exemption.

Despite holding the world’s largest proven oil reserves, Venezuela’s production remains far below capacity due to sanctions and years of underinvestment. Much of the country’s remaining oil exports are shipped to China.

Caracas has rejected the U.S. actions as a serious threat to its sovereignty and warned it will continue defending its national and economic interests as tensions with Washington deepen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *